Susan is the one with the “Fired Up” sign. OkieBrent took this photo at the Yukon Czech Fest last year.
Name: Susan McCann
ODP Office sought: Vice Chair Democratic Party
1. What is the mission of the Oklahoma Democratic Party?
The mission of the Oklahoma Democratic Party is to 1) serve the Democratic Citizens in the state of Oklahoma; to recruit Democratic Candidates and to support Democratic Officeholders; and 2) to build the base by facilitating and encouraging Grassroots involvement and by registering Democratic voters.
2. How do you propose that mission be met?
It is necessary to have continual contact with the Democratic Party Leaders and Democratic officeholders throughout the state and to put these individuals in contact with Democratic Citizens by developing Grassroots Events at the County Level. Change Oklahoma sponsored Town Hall styled meetings in several counties across the state with the primary purpose of encouraging grassroots participation at Democratic Precinct Meetings. This proved to be effective, particularly in Oklahoma, Comanche and Muskogee Counties. Taking this statewide in the future, the Town Halls could center on subject matter specific to the economy of the county and region. County Democratic Leaders and Activists along with Civic and Business Leaders, City & County Officials and the Democratic State Representatives and Senators from those Districts would be invited to attend. Advertise the event early and often by utilizing Social Networks and local media outlets (including Radio). We’d have the opportunity to peak the interest of individuals who are not currently involved in the political process. But more importantly- we’d put the State Democratic Party in direct touch with the citizens of the counties we visit. We can be Consensus Builders giving us the opportunity to re-build our party -from the bottom up. We leave behind the blueprint for a group which can continue to develop ideas – a think-tank for their community and a Grassroots growth opportunity for our Party.
3. Name one person who asked you to run for this position.
There were several members the Grassroots Organization (Change Oklahoma) of which I am the Chair who encouraged me to run.
4. Name a current or former Oklahoma Democratic Party official who is, or will serve as, a role model for the position you are seeking.
I would suggest Senator Debbe Leftwich.
5. Why this person?
I chose the Senator because she has held a variety of positions with the Party including State Co-Chair, and she currently holds an official position with the State Federation of Democratic Women concurrent with her Senatorial position. She has also sponsored Grassroots Training for the Party! Senator Leftwich is a dedicated Democrat and a Grassroots Activist.
6. List in order of importance the three main goals you hope to achieve during the two-year term, if elected.
1) Supporting Democratic Grassroots Groups; recognizing, utilizing and coordinating efforts which are essential to the success of our party.
2) Fill all necessary national, state and district offices with DEMOCRATS; and aid in raising funds for their campaigns.
3) To build integrity and accountability with the Democratic Party of Oklahoma through hard work and consistency of effort.
7. Do you pledge to actively support all nominees of our party for public office in 2010? If you cannot answer that with a 100% certainty “YES to ALL,” please briefly explain the potential circumstances where you would not or could not support a specific Democratic nominee.
I pledge to support all Democratic nominees of our party.
8. There are some active members of our Party who at times seek penalties, public reprimands, or even expulsion from our Party of certain elected officials whose votes on specific issues seem to be against the platform or principals of the Democratic Party. However, Article IX: Policy Rules, Section 1: Six Basic Elements: B) of the Oklahoma Democratic Party Constitution states:
“No test of membership in, or any oaths of loyalty to, the Oklahoma Democratic Party shall be required or used which has the effect of requiring prospective or current members of the Oklahoma Democratic Party to acquiesce in, condone or support discrimination on the grounds of race, gender, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, ethnic identity, sexual orientation, economic status or philosophical persuasion.”
If elected, what would be your response to conflicts between activists and elected Democratic public officials, over policy issues which can cause splits within our Party?
I would attempt to seek consensus between disparate parties in order to achieve an outcome which would be satisfactory to all. If however, consensus is not reached, I must as a party official abide by the rules of the Oklahoma Democratic Party Constitution.
9. Now is your chance to dispel any rumors about you.
I know of none, but would be glad to discuss any rumor if a Democrat has heard of one.
10. And finally, if State Convention delegates do not elect you, what will be your response?
To continue, through Change Oklahoma and other grassroots organizations as well as through the Oklahoma Democratic Party to build Democratic voter numbers and to elect Democrats.